November 2nd, the Catholic Catechism makes this teaching: “the Church in its pilgrim members, from the earliest days of the Christian religion, has honoured with great respect the memory of the dead; and because it is a holy and a wholesome thought to pray for the dead that they may be loosed from their sins’ she offers prayers for them.”
There are many indulgences, applicable only to the Souls in Purgatory, that can be obtained during the month of November:
- A plenary indulgence, applicable only to the souls in purgatory, is granted to the faithful who,
- on any and each day from November 1 to 8, devoutly visit a cemetery and pray, if only mentally, for the departed;
- on All Souls’ Day, devoutly visit a church or an oratory and recite an Our Father and the Creed.
- A partial indulgence, applicable only to the souls in purgatory, is granted to the faithful who.
- devoutly visit a cemetery and at least mentally pray for the dead;
- devoutly recite lauds or vespers from the Office of the Dead or the prayer Requiem aeternam (Eternal rest).
To facilitate prayer on All Souls the Cathedral will have extra Masses.
On All Souls the Mass schedule is as follows: 9 AM, 12:10 PM, 3 PM, 5:10 PM & 6:30 PM. There is the 50 person limit in effect. The 6:30 PM Mass is a Latin.
Entrance for the 9 AM, 12:10 PM, 3 PM and 5:10 PM is first-come first-serve, For the 6:30 PM Latin Mass sign-up is required ahead of time. To sign up for this Mass please click here.
The 7:15 AM, 12:10 PM, and 6:30 PM Masses will be live-streamed.