THE KARN-WARREN ORGAN
The Karn-Warren Organ made by D. W. Karn & Co. of Woodstock, Ontario was installed in the Cathedral in the fall of 1900. It has the reputation of being the oldest romantic-style organ of its kind in BC remaining in its original place. It is mostly English in architecture with some French applications in the reeds and Great flutes. This instrument had three manuals of 61 notes each and pedal of 30 notes, with a total number of pipes 2468.
In 1999, due to general wear and tear, some patchy repair work and damage from water leakage, it became apparent the organ needed a major overhaul. That year the organ was disassembled and sent to renowned organ builders of Ste. Hyacinthe, Quebec — Casavant Frères.
After two years of meticulous work, the organ made its journey home. A new console of 3 manuals was installed along with a pedal board of 32 notes with 42 stops and 51 ranks of pipes totalling 2899. It was blessed in Easter 2000 and a grand inaugural concert series was held that year. The series of annual organ recitals continues to be a tradition at the Cathedral.